- Balance: financial program
- Planning for college
- Fraud prevention
- Auto resources
- Home resources
- Credit resources
- Business resources
Keeping Your Holidays Safe and Merry
For most of us the holiday season means shopping and decorating for celebrations full of merriment with friends and family.
For some, though, the holiday season becomes a prime time for theft and fraud.
So, we've put together a few tips to help ensure your holidays are merry and safe.
- Park in a well-lit area.
- Always lock your vehicle. Keep packages out of sight (put them in your trunk and lock the interior release latch).
- Don't carry a purse or wallet, if possible. If you do carry a purse or wallet, carry only those cards you will be using that day. Keep other credit cards in a safe place at home. Report lost/stolen cards immediately.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. If you do carry cash, carry it in your front pocket.
- Stay alert of your surroundings. Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason.
- Only use ATMs in well-lit areas and be sure to secure your cash before you walk or drive away.
- Large displays of holiday gifts can be a target for thieves. Place gifts where they can't be seen from the outside.
- Lock all doors and windows, even when you are home.
- Mail cards with money, checks or gift cards from the Post Office or USPS collection bins.
- Large boxes with your trash bin from TVs, stereos and other expensive electronics can be an invitation to burglars. Consider taking these boxes to your local waste management station rather than leaving them out on the curb.
- When leaving home for an extended period of time, ask a neighbor to watch your house and pick up mail and newspapers. You may also want to install automatic timers indoor and outdoor lights.